TEST YOUR KNOWLEDGE: TRUE OR FALSE?
- White-collar crime is defined as any criminal offense committed by a wealthy individual.
- Air and water pollution unlike the failure to safely dispose of toxic chemicals is penalized by civil fines and is not subject to criminal prosecution.
- The Occupational Safety and Health Act focuses on workers’ exposure to illness, disease, and injury and does not address death on the job.
- The purchase of a stock in the company in which an individual is employed constitutes the crime of insider trading.
- State governments have sole and exclusive jurisdiction over fraudulent business practices.
- It is unlawful for a health care provider to bill federal insurance for unnecessary medical procedures.
- There is no legal prohibition on a bank accepting deposits that are known to be the proceeds of unlawful narcotics trafficking so long as the money is not counterfeit.
- It is not a crime for several corporations to agree to charge the same price for an item to prevent price competition so long as the price of the item is sufficiently low that it benefits consumers.
- The federal government has exclusive jurisdiction over computer crime including computer hacking, trespass, and tampering.
- There is no significant difference between the crime of bribery of a public official and the crime of extortion of a public official.