TEST YOUR KNOWLEDGE: TRUE OR FALSE?
- The only difference between criminal law and civil law is that violation of a criminal law may result in imprisonment.
- There is no significant relationship between the criminal law and criminal procedure.
- The primary distinction between felonies and misdemeanors is that felonies may result in incarceration and that misdemeanors may result in only a monetary fine.
- A state criminal code will tell you all you need to know to understand the elements of crimes and criminal defenses in a state.
- After being charged with a federal criminal offense, the next procedural step is for a defendant to stand trial in federal court.
- All state court systems provide that a criminal defendant has the right to an automatic appeal to the state supreme court.
- Criminal law is different from other areas of the law in that judges are not required to follow the precedent established in previous cases.