SAGE Research Methods Video
SAGE Research Methods videos feature a variety of academics and researchers, including author John Creswell, delving deeper into research topics, concepts, and case studies. Watch the videos and check your understanding by answering the questions below. (Answers available on separate tab.)
Click on the following links. Please note these will open in a new window.
Professor Kathy Charmaz introduces grounded theory as a qualitative approach designed to develop a theory.
Dr. Evelyn Behar and Dr. Nicole Cain discuss the different types of variables, including independent and dependent variables, and how to operationalize variables.
1. What is the role of theory in grounded theory research?
- to apply existing theories to the data
- to construct new theory that accounts for the data
- to describe a theory that is grounded in details
- to test a theory using codes
2. A researcher randomly assigns college students to a prescribed amount of study time. She plans to examine the extent to which study time leads to improved test scores while controlling for gender. Which of the following is the independent variable?
- test scores
- amount of study time
- college students