Recognize different forms of psychotherapy and their corresponding goals for treatment.
- Describe how a client would know if psychotherapy was successful.
- Discuss the principles that underlie behavioral therapy.
- List the main features of cognitive therapies.
- Explain the humanistic approach.
Determine what types of psychotherapy are effective, and list the properties that various types of psychotherapy have in common.
- Create an argument that supports the effectiveness of psychotherapy.
- List the properties that various types of psychotherapy share.
- Define what it means to be “eclectic” in a therapeutic approach.
Understand the different types and cost-benefit trade-offs of medical interventions for psychological disorders.
- List the types of drugs used to treat psychological disorders.
- Compare the advantages and disadvantages of taking drugs for the treatment of psychological disorders.
- Describe the conditions that lead to the use of electroconvulsive therapy and psychosurgery.