Quizzes are available to test your understanding of the key concepts covered in each chapter. Click on the arrows next to each question to view the answer.
1. The production of sound via our speech is called:
2. Chomsky is known for his theory of which of the following?
- Words or utterances are gradually used by children from those which have been reinforced
- Learning takes place through observation
- Language development which develops naturally
- Children have a strong biological predisposition to acquire a language
c. Language development which develops naturally
3. Preverbal communication occurs at what age in the development of language acquisition?
- Up to one year
- Two years
- Three years
- Four years
a. Up to one year
4. What is protoimperative pointing?
- When an infant uses pointing gestures to bring an object to another’s attention
- When an infant can perceive the sound of some consonants in a categorical way
- When an infant points to an object that is placed out of their reach
- The effect an utterance has on its audience
c. When an infant points to an object that is placed out of their reach
5. When does the ‘naming explosion’ typically occur?
- Around 12 months
- Around 18 months
- Around 3 years
- Around 4 years
6. Which of the following is considered to be a characteristic error in semantic development?
- Telegraphic speech development
- Illocutionary force
- Say-mean distinction
7. Knowledge about the social conventions of using language that leads to effective communication relates to which of the following?
- Phonological development
- Development of pragmatics
- Semantic development
- Referential communication task
b. Development of pragmatics
8. Which of the following represents the two requirements for effective conversation?
- The ability to infer communicative intent and to base responses on what was intended to be said
- Needing an understanding that a speaker can say one thing but mean another and an possessing an appropriately developed knowledge base
- The use of overextension and underextension
- The ability to engage a listeners attention and to respond appropriately to the feedback provided by a listener
d. The ability to engage a listeners attention and to respond appropriately to the feedback provided by a listener
9. What does the term conversational implicature mean?
- Involving others in a conversation
- Talking about others during a conversation
- Refers to how people use context in order to understand a speakers meaning
- Refers to how the speaker preferred to have been understood
c. Refers to how people use context in order to understand a speakers meaning
10. Syntax is also known as which of the following?
- Parameter setting