The following data are taken from Statistics Netherlands, which collects and processes data for use by policymakers and for scientific research (http://www.cbs.nl/en-GB/default.htm).
The rate of divorce in the Netherlands has generally been increasing over time. Below are presented divorce rates per 1,000 persons over 7 time periods.
- Construct a time series chart displaying this information. Be sure that you correctly specify which variable belongs on the horizontal and vertical axes.
- Using the time series chart that you constructed in Question #1, describe trends in divorce in the Netherlands before and after the 1970s.
- As is evident from the time series chart you constructed in Question #1, there was a drop in the divorce rate between 2000 and 2007. Does this mean that there were a negative number of divorces taking place? Explain.
- Returning to the original data provided at the outset of this question set, which would be the appropriate graphic devise for these data, a bar graph or a histogram? Why?
- Based on your answer to Question #4, construct the graphic device that you identified as most appropriate.
- In 2007, the population of the Netherlands was 16,357,992 persons. Total population growth year was 47,407 persons and composed of the following elements:
|Immigration (those who entered the country||166,819|
|Emigration (those who exited the country)||122,576|
Excluding administrative corrections, construct a pie chart which shows how each of the remaining four elements contributed to population change in 2007.
- Again, excluding administrative corrections, construct a pie chart showing the relative contribution elements which contributed to population growth. (Hint: population growth is a product of births and immigration. So, you will only want to consider these two elements).
- Provided below are data on the male and female population in the Netherlands over the past 8 years. Construct either a frequency polygon or a time series chart using the data provided which shows changes in the male and female population over the last 8 years.