1. With regard to the role of structure when writing up research, which one is NOT true?
- It enables the author to communicate with the reader.
- It helps the reader to see where the author is going.
- It provides a map for the author when writing.
- It automatically speeds up the process of research.
2. Which one is NOT necessarily true? Reports written for clients should ______.
- always provide a detailed scientific backing for recommendations
- avoid being too prescriptive about what the client should do
- show evidence of how the research questions evolved through interaction with the client
- start the report by highlighting the recommendations and conclusions
3. The main section headings in dissertations include ______.
- research questions
- research findings
4. Which one of the following statements about writing style is NOT wrong?
- When reviewing the literature it is important to describe each paper separately, and sequentially to avoid confusion.
- The author(s) should always write in the third person to indicate impartiality.
- In writing up the literature review the authors should focus exclusively on what is wrong with previous work.
- There are many different styles, and authors should try to adapt to the expectations of their readers.
5. Which of the following does NOT constitute plagiarism?
- copying another persons work without acknowledgement
- buying material from professional writers
- discussing ideas with colleagues before including them in your written document
- copying material from other sources and just rewording it slightly (no quotation marks needed)
- all of these
6. A journals impact factor ______.
- indicates the journals impact on management practice
- is based on the assessment of the journal by an expert panel
- is calculated by counting the number of times the journal is cited in the top ten journals
- is calculated by dividing citations to recent articles by number of recent articles
7. Which of the following should NOT be included in a methods section?
- overview of research design and methods
- literature review
- ethical considerations
- quality criteria and limitations
8. The most important function of a discussion chapter is to ______.
- present findings
- highlight opportunities for future research
- summarise the project and its outcomes
- interpret findings in relation to the literature
9. A good style in academic writing is characterised by ______.
- long and complex sentences
- use of passive tense
- none of these