After finishing this chapter, you should be able to:
- Distinguish the core features that make a regime democratic or authoritarian.
- Define terms like “democratization” and “competitive authoritarianism”.
- Identify major historical trends in the development of democracy.
- Understand what the state of democracy is today in the world.
- Make arguments about why some countries are democratic while others are not.
- Pinpoint the ways in which the global forces of international studies are shaping democracy.