After finishing this chapter, you should be able to:
- Define civil war and terrorism.
- Identify the causes and consequences of civil war.
- Examine civil war’s causes and consequences in some recent cases.
- Understand how terrorist actors use communication and information technology.
- Identify some prominent explanations of terrorism.
- Articulate the ways in which international interactions shape, and are shaped by, civil war and terrorism.
- Discuss how international actors respond to civil war and terrorism, including through peacekeeping, peacebuilding, counterinsurgency, and counterterrorism.
- Consider the risks of cyberattacks and the ways in which information and communications technology may be harnessed to launch computer-based attacks.