1. Describe the symptoms that characterize some of the most common types of mental illness.
2. Explain why changes over time in how we view certain mental health conditions don’t merely reflect advances in scientific understanding of psychiatric disorders but the power of drug companies too.
3. Identify social forces that contribute to the misdiagnosis of ADHD in children.
4. Recognize how American culture contributes to the profound sadness felt by people with depression.
5. Describe how a person’s gender influences their experience of mental illness.
6. Explain how the idea of neurodiversity can destigmatize mental illness.