After studying this chapter, you will be able to do the following:
- Explain the differences between the ideas of Plato and his student Aristotle.
- Analyze the ways Christian thinkers like St. Augustine and St. Aquinas changed the way people thought about politics.
- Explain how Machiavelli’s thought represented a break from previous ways of theorizing politics.
- Compare the way modern political philosophers dealt with the issues of individualism, sovereignty, and the popular government.
- Summarize theway twentieth century and contemporary political philosophy continues and critiques the political philosophy of the previous centuries.