Click on the following links. Please note these will open in a new window.
- “Ferguson effect?” Chicago Police Release Video of Beaten Officer Who Didn’t Pull Weapon
This video released by the Chicago Police Department shows an incident where a female officer was severely beaten yet was afraid to draw her weapon for fear of the media attention the situation might draw.
- Los Angeles Police Department (LAPD) Outfits Every Officer With Body Cameras
This ABC News segment discusses the use of body-worn cameras in LAPD.
- Police Departments Issuing Body Cameras Discover Drawbacks
This audio clip explores some of the drawbacks of police body-worn cameras.
- Police in Other Communities Are Consumed By Ferguson
This audio clip interviews several police officers on the Ferguson effect and the use of body-worn cameras.
- Police Officers’ Decision-Making and Discretion: Forming Suspicion and Making a Stop
This report by Geoffrey P. Alpert, Roger G. Dunham, Meghan Stroshine, Katherine Bennett, and John MacDonald to the National Institute of Justice discusses police discretion in a study conducted in Savannah, GA.
- The Ferguson effect
This opinion piece in the Washington Post by Heather Mac Donald discusses the impact of the media attention on the Michael Brown shooting in Ferguson, MO.