- To understand the basic functioning of the sentencing process.
- To understand the relationship between sentencing and the state of penal institutions.
- To grasp the function and process of the presentence report.
- To clearly understand the part that risk assessment plays in sentencing.
- To be able to name and discuss four theories of sentencing.
- To gain an understanding of restorative justice philosophy and practice.
- To be aware of changing social factors and how they influence sentencing policy.