- Consider the American president as one individual acting with and against many institutions and other political actors.
- Describe the powers of presidency as defined in the Constitution and the constitutional limitations placed on those powers.
- Discuss institutional and informal sources of and influences on presidential power.
- Understand how presidents have tested the limits of executive power during wartime and other crises.
- Evaluate the tools that presidents use to further expand their power.