After reading this chapter, you will be able to
- Discuss variations in public health programs and how political culture influences how states define public health,
- Explain how federal and state governments became involved in health care,
- Describe health care reform efforts from the 1980s to the 2010s,
- Relate how the rise of managed care resulted in greater state involvement in health care,
- Identify current issues in U.S. health care, and
- Compare how different states and the federal government have sought to define good health.