SAGE Journal Articles
Click on the following links. Please note these will open in a new window.
Learning Objective: 10-4: Discuss the various intervention and prevention efforts that focus on abuse of people with disabilities and the elderly, including evidence of their effectiveness.
Summary: The study uses qualitative analysis of case studies to assist helping professionals in understanding the most effective interventions when working with older (over the age of 60) intimate partner violence victims
Questions to Consider
- How do the needs of older intimate partner violence victims differ from younger intimate partner violence victims?
- What are the barriers to engaging older intimate partner violence victims in intervention?
- In what ways are the cases presented in the article similar? Different?
Article 2: Ballan, M. S., Freyer, M. B., Marti, C. N., Perkel, J., Webb, K. A., & Romanelli, M. (2014). Looking beyond prevalence: A demographic profile of survivors of intimate partner violence with disabilities. Journal of Interpersonal Violence, 29, 3167–3179.
Learning Objectives: 10-3: Summarize the consequences associated with abuse of people with disabilities and the elderly; 10-4: Discuss the various intervention and prevention efforts that focus on abuse of people with disabilities and the elderly, including evidence of their effectiveness.
Summary: This article reports the results of a retrospective case study review that examined demographics and familial, social, and contextual aspects of IPV among women with disabilities. Information for service providers who must understand the multifaceted and unique needs of survivors are described.
Questions to Consider
- The article mentions that limited research has focused on examining demographic profiles of IPV survivors with disabilities. Why do you think this is?
- Describe how a study examining this study’s research questions could be conducted using a different research design.
- The article mentions some directions for future research. Extend this further and describe implications for this research and additional areas that should be further explored.