1. Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-5)
This mighty tome was released at the American Psychiatric Association’s Annual Meeting in May 2013, and it constituted the end of more than ten years of working and planning to revise the criteria for the diagnosis and classification of mental disorders. The website contains links to information, webinars and all sorts of useful stuff.
2. International Classification of Diseases (ICD) 10
The International Classification of Diseases (ICD) is another standard diagnostic tool for all things clinical. The ICD 10 includes analyses of the general health of the population, and can be used to monitor the incidence and prevalence of illnesses (and other health problems), proving a picture of the general health situation across the world.
3. Psychopath Versus Sociopath
Robert Hare (the key researcher in psychopathy) speaking about the difference between sociopaths and psychopaths.
4. Interviews with Psychopaths
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXgi72W2H7U The Iceman
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtvmGdzgdLM Jeffery Dahmer
5. Strange Phobias
Watch a countdown of 20 strange phobias – how do you think these phobias might have commenced?
6. A Starting Point for Understanding Fears and Phobias
There are many websites like this available (and we do not personally know this one so cannot vouch for it) but it is an example of the kind of help out there for people suffering from fears or phobias. However, if you do have a fear or phobia that is interfering with your life, please do go and see your GP first.
7. Links to YouTube Videos
- Introduction lecture on psychological disorders (more videos following this): http://www.youtube.com/watchv=rX0bWjW9DVY&list=PLVHY3HvnI6yMIotukmARTlrCk2q8RXCHg&index=24
- Living with schizophrenia: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48YJMOcykvc
- CBT Techniques: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoFNs-3r0Go
- ‘Back from the edge’ Stories about Borderline personality disorder: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=967Ckat7f98
- The truth about depression (BBC documentary): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5YubjEqbZ8