Test you understanding of key chapter concepts by working through the quiz below. To check your answer click on the orange arrow to the right.
1. What is rather not looked at when defining psychopathology?
b. behavioral consequences
c. prevalence rate
The correct answer is: c. prevalence rate
2. What is not part of the Four Ds, the four constructs that help to define Psychopathology?
The correct answer is: b. delinquency
3. Which of the statements regarding the difference between structured and unstructured interviews is wrong?
a. structured interviews guarantee consistency throughout interviewing different individuals
b. unstructured interviews require more preparation time than structured interviews
c. unstructured interviews are more open to interpretations compared to structured ones
d. structured interviews can limit the client’s answers
The correct answer is: b. unstructured interviews require more preparation time than structured interviews
4. What is not a form of clinical observation?
c. assessing clients in their homes
d. assessing clients outside of their home
The correct answer is: a. interviewing
5. How would a medical practitioner most likely not try to explain a certain disorder?
a. by looking at genetics
b. by making use of correlational studies
c. by looking at certain neurotransmitters
d. by investigating family relationships
The correct answer is: d. by investigating family relationships
6. Supporters of which pathology model look explicitly at risk and protective factors when explaining psychological disorders?
a. cognitive-behavioural model
b. developmental model
c. psychodynamic model
d. humanistic and existential models
The correct answer is: b. developmental model
7. A new client comes into the office and tells you about experiencing excessive anxiety, restlessness, muscle tension and having headaches almost every day. She also tells you she has trouble sleeping and can’t concentrate at work. From the disorders described in the chapter, which one sounds the most logical?
a. major depressive disorder
b. social phobia
d. generalised anxiety disorder
The correct answer is: d. generalised anxiety disorder
8. What is not a positive symptom of schizophrenia?
c. disorganised thinking and speech
The correct answer is: b. avolition
9. What is a definition of histrionic personality disorder?
a. a pattern of detachment from social relationships and a restricted range of emotional expression
b. a pattern of instability in interpersonal relationships, self-image and affects, and marked impulsivity
c. a pattern of grandiosity, need for admiration and lack of empathy
d. a pattern of excessive emotionality and attention seeking
The correct answer is: d. a pattern of excessive emotionality and attention seeking
10. What is not a common symptom of major depressive disorder?
b. reduction in self-esteem
c. change in appetite
d. sleeping excessive amounts
The correct answer is: a. delusions